We’re excited to introduce you to the new Director of Career Connections, Terra Saltzman-Baker! Terra comes to us from the University of San Diego’s MBA program, where she has worked for the past five years. Prior to that, Terra spent “a lifetime” in recruiting on all levels, from executive, third-party and internal corporate, on both local and national levels, which gives her a distinct advantage in helping students and alumni find the right fit.
Terra was initially attracted to Rady because of her interest in working with a nationally ranked program and the opportunity to help grow the reputation of the school by working directly with current students and alumni. “Challenge keeps me engaged. Finding a strategic role where I add value from my past work, learn an entirely new set of students and corporate partners, and grow my own skill set, all while getting to know a new team is a great way to accomplish this!”
Terra’s Tips for Making the Most of Career Connections:
- The more we know about you, the more we can help you. Come by our office, attend events and put yourself out there. Knowing specifically what you are interested in and why can help us advise you as well as introduce you to the right people and make more meaningful referrals.
- Attend professional seminars and panel events. Having direct access and face time with the CEOs and founders in the room and making that personal connection can be incredibly beneficial, now and down the road.
- No matter how old you are or where you are at in your career, utilize the idea that you are a student. Approach companies and individuals with this information-seeking mindset and more doors will open for you. People want to help, especially in the San Diego market.
- Remember that you are a reflection of Rady. We ALL are. How you choose to interact with others can directly grow (or diminish) the Rady brand. Choose wisely.
- Introduce yourself! We’re here to work with you.
In her personal life, Terra spends a good deal of time volunteering. She is currently a Celebrity Wish Granter for the Make a Wish Foundation, as well as a professional speaker on their behalf. She also volunteers with the Red Cross in their Disaster Services Team, and with Volunteers of America on various events.
Kristine Page is a digital strategist at the Rady School of Management. When she’s not tweeting, sharing photos on Instagram or writing Rady stories, you can find her sipping iced coffee and expounding on the merits of the latest Facebook changes to anyone who will listen.