Leadership Development Program for Science & Technology Management (LDP)
Group discounts available.
In science and technology-driven industries, the levers of competitive advantage continuously shift. Products and services that are cutting-edge today become obsolete in short-order. Competitive forces keep pushing companies to constantly seek new innovations that can be brought to market in a timely and effective way. In such a dynamic environment, having the appropriately skilled leadership can make the difference between success and failure.
It is vital for companies to develop their technology & scientific managers to a level of superior performance. The Leadership Development Program for Science and Technology management (LDP for STM) provides the advanced leadership skills, operational discipline and business tools participants will require for achieving their ultimate career and company goals.
About the Rady School of Management
The Rady School of Management focuses on developing executives who understand the languages of science, technology and business, as well as have the skills and drive to successfully move innovative ideas from concept to market. Although both UC San Diego and the Rady School are relatively young, they have already achieved world-wide recognition.
- UC San Diego has been rated the 8th best public university in the nation (U.S. News and World Report 2013) and 10th in the nation of all universities for quality of faculty (National Research Council 2009).
- The university has been ranked 1st in the nation based on the positive impact the university has had on the country (Washington Monthly’s 2012 College Guide).
- The Rady School has been rated as one of the top 20 business schools world-wide in the top level of academic research.
- UC San Diego’s lineage includes 20 Nobel laureates including Harry Markowitz at the Rady School.
- Over the last seven years, Rady alumni have started over 60 companies which have received outside funding and over 100 “intrepreneurial” products or services have been launched within Fortune 1000 firms under the direction of Rady graduates.
Within this context of excellence, the Rady School has developed a dynamic and highly unique educational experience for technology and scientific leaders.
Who Should Attend
The program is specifically designed for engineering and scientific research managers with the following:
- 8-10+ years work experience and professional achievement in Engineering, Product Design, Software Development, Information Technology, Scientific Research, Drug Development, Project Management, or Product/System Assurance
- Currently in or about to be promoted to a leadership position
- Demonstrate proficiency in English for both written and oral communication
- Sponsored by their company
Applications from managers from other functional areas such as Finance, Marketing, Production and Human Resources will be considered if they can demonstrate a high degree of interaction with the technical areas of their firms.
Applicants must have 8 to 10 years of work experience and professional achievement and be sponsored by their companies. They must currently be in or recently promoted to a leadership position within their organization overseeing engineering, information technology, scientific and other technical initiatives. Other critical department leads such as Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, Operations and candidates from other departments are welcome to apply, though admissions are limited and applicants must show strong interactions with the technical areas of their firms.
All course work is delivered in English so written and oral proficiency is essential.
How to Register
Prospective participants may register online and at any time. Registrants will receive an email confirmation of the receipt of their registration and will be contacted with additional details.
If you have any questions, contact Jill Farwell at firstname.lastname@example.org
*early bird pricing available through 12/31/16. Price increases to $13,500 after 12/31/16.
Tuition includes all on-campus courses and materials; breakfast, lunch and some dinners; individual assessment; inter-session mentoring; private accommodations and organized entertainment. *
- Group discounts available, please contact us.
All on-campus courses are held in the Rady School’s Center for Executive Development.
Upon completion of the program, participants will be proficient with:
- Exploiting research & engineering strategy to drive the company forward by building competitive advantages in technology
- Identifying the drivers of technical and scientific innovation to derive new product strategy
- Customer Value Proposition and its impact on the design and sales of products and services
- Market segmentation, positioning and global brand identification
- New paradigms for customer interaction and information gathering
- Product portfolio management and life-cycle planning & management
- Using on-time and on-budget imperatives in advanced product development techniques
- Opportunities for design/development process improvements
- Supply chain design for greater customer value and company financial returns
- Cost management and the operational dashboard for closed loop control
- The 24-hour engineering time clock
- Establishing and sustaining a culture of innovation
- What it means to be in charge
- Effective and efficient conversational style
- Difficult conversations and harnessing disruptive impulses
- Building internal strategic relationships
A distinct advantage of the LDP for STM is its unique, immersive program that integrates interactive classroom instruction with individualized and workplace-focused learning in a flexible format that fits the busy schedule of technology managers.
The program consists of two educational formats, held at the Rady School's Center for Executive Development at UCSD:
- SESSIONS: 10 days total of on-campus classroom instruction; 3-4 days at a time spread over a three month period. All classroom instruction is highly interactive with lecture, break-out sessions, individual & team exercises.
• Establishing a Culture of Innovation • Advance Project Management • Mastering Market Dynamics • Building Internal Strategic Relationships
- INTERSESSIONS: 6-7 days of workplace focused learning assignments to be completed during the two inter-sessions. These assignments may include, but are not be limited to virtual hands-on components:
• Customer value assessment • Supply chain evaluation • Brand image determination • Return-on-investment calculations
The faculty for the LDP for STM are drawn from the distinguished ranks of the Rady School of Management and from other leading-edge learning organizations. They are not only renowned researchers and authors, but also highly engaging classroom educators with broad experience in the business world. These include:
On Amir, Ph.D.
Professor of Marketing, Rady School of Management
Research award winner from the Marketing Science Institute and from the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation
Vish Krishnan, Ph.D.
Professor of Innovation, Rady School of Management
Sheryl and Harvey White Endowed Chair, Innovation, Technology & Operations
Ernie Mendes, Ph.D.
Professor & Bestselling author: "Empty the Cup before You Fill It"
Pioneer in the study on Emotional Intelligence (E.I.)
William Jeffries, Ph.D.
Professor & Bestselling Author
Shatner/Delaney "Keeping America Strong" award winner for helping American business recover from the effects of 9-11
2017 Schedule, Curriculum & Instructors*
|8:00 - 5:00p||Myers-Briggs (MBTI): Ice-Breaker, teaming, interpersonal skills & self-awareness||Dr. William Jeffries|
|8:00a - 12:00noon||Strategy Fulfillment: The role of research & engineering to drive the company forward||Dr. Dave Newton|
|Building Internal Strategic Relationships: Breaking out of the silos|
|1:00p - 5:00p||Managing Change: Harnessing disruptive impulses & opportunities for operational process improvements||Dr. Jerry Jellison|
|8:00a - 12noon||Mastering Market Dynamics: Analyzing segmentation & position decisions on designs/exploiting the company's brand for global penetration||Dr. On Amir|
|1:00p - 5:00p||Assessing the Customer Value Proposition: Why they should want to buy your product/service||Dr. On Amir|
|8:00a - 12:00noon||Managing Technology Change & Data Science, Business Intelligence and Internet of Things||Dr. Kevin Zhu|
|1:00p - 5:00p||New Paradigms to Engage Customers/Innovators in the Information Age||Dr. Kevin Zhu|
|8:00a - 12:00noon||Technology & Markets: Growth & renewal through science & technology commercialization: a strategic framework||Dr. Vish Krishnan|
|1:00p - 5:00p||Technology & Markets: Discovering Innovation Opportunities|
|8:00a - 10:00a||Advanced Project Management: Business model definition & development; Elevator pitches||Dr. Vish Krishnan|
|10:00a - 12:00noon||Advanced Project Management: Executing plans & mitigating risks through portfolio manangement|
|1:00p - 3:00p||Advanced Project Management: Developing on-time & on-budget execution|
|3:00 - 5:00p||Advanced Project Management: Integration with Supply Chain & Channels for Maximum Benefit|
|8:00a - 12:00noon||Demystifying Accounting: The Ins & Outs of Transaction Flows & Financial Statements||David Ravetch|
|1:00p - 5:00p||Managerial Accounting & Budgeting: Dashboard, Cost Accounting & Managerial Accounting|
|8:00a - 12:00noon||Management decision making: time value of money & ROI considerations||Dr. Ross Valkanov|
|1:00p - 5:00p||Financial Analysis: Impact of risk on investment decision making|
|8:00a - 12:00noon||The Innovator's Way: The Effective Corporate Intrapreneur||Ricardo Dos Santos|
|1:00p - 5:00p||Communicating in the Workplace: Developing an effective & efficient conversational style; Guidelines for handling Challenging Conversations||Dr. Ernie Mendes|
|8:00a - 10:00a||Managing Virtual Teams / VirBELA Demo||Dr. Joanie Connell / Dr. Alex Howland|
|10:00a - 3:00p||Power & Leadership: Personal Adaptation (includes working lunch; or 30 min. lunch break)||Dr. Mary McKay|
|3:00p - 5:00p||Business Challenge Presentations||Dr. Vish Krishnan|
|5:00p||Certificate Ceremony & Dinner|
|*schedule, curriculum & instructors subject to change|