October 9, 2014 - this session is full. For inquiries on upcoming sessions, email email@example.com.
Course runs from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
About the Program
A structured leadership assessment experience offers an opportunity to demonstrate skills and capabilities in a challenging environment and to receive feedback on that performance. The Center for Leadership Assessment (CLA) offers programs that identify and improve upon these competencies.
The Rady School of Management regularly offers custom CLA programs to suit the needs of specific organizations and their leadership teams, and now these programs are available to individuals as well. The open-enrollment CLA program allows participants from multiple organizations to interact with and learn from each other. It is ideal for organizations that wish to provide assessment and training to select members of their leadership team.
At a time when organizations have limited resources for identifying and developing their talent pipeline, the CLA program offers the greatest return on investment. By providing specific, actionable evaluations and feedback, developmental activities can be targeted to skills that will make the greatest difference in the success of both the individual and the organization. The result is a process that will build upon itself year after year.
- Planning and scoping projects
- Mitigating risk
- Managing the social dynamics of project execution
- Developing project management tools for success
Who Should Attend
Leaders (individuals and small teams) of mid- to large-size companies, at the director level. Attendees may be interested in strengthening their leadership skills because they are new to their position, want to broaden their responsibilities, want to move to the next level of leadership or have received feedback on areas which need improvement.
- Pre-work: Participants receive several online assessments to complete prior to attending the CLA.The pre-work assignment is provided four weeks prior to the CLA start date.
- Center for Leadership Assessment Program: Participants attend a one day program including exercises, feedback and networking opportunities.
- Post-feedback: Participants receive feedback on specific instruments in person at the center, and both the individual and their organization receive a report of quantitative and qualitative feedback on the participants' overall performance on the CLA competencies. Additional feedback and development may be arranged.
For the Organization: The CLA program provides a solid foundation for individual development and succession planning efforts and may be customized according to unique organizational needs. This is achieved through:
- A report on each participant detailing their strengths and development needs
- An evaluation of each participant on each of the organization's key competencies
- A talent management summary that shows where leadership strengths and development needs are the greatest within a team of participants
- A balance between business acumen and leadership characteristics, competencies and attributes
For the Individual: Whether a leader of thousands, a supervisor of a few or an individual contributor, the CLA program provides individuals with a snapshot of skills, abilities and personal characteristics which serves as a foundation for development planning. This is achieved through:
- Comprehensive, integrated feedback
- A summary of results and recommendations for ongoing development
- An optional 360-degree feedback summary of how others perceive the participant's skills and abilities
Dr. Joanie B. Connell is an organizational consultant and leadership coach who specializes in maximizing leadership potential. She works with companies to attract, develop, and retain top talent. She works with individuals to improve their success and happiness in their careers. She is also an author of a recently-released book called “Lessons from the Workplace: What Parents and Schools Are Missing.”
As a consultant, Joanie develops leaders across generations. She works with executives at Flexible Work Solutions, Inc. and youth at ExecuStart, Inc. She consults in a variety of areas, including executive leadership development, diversity, generations, flexible work arrangements, work-life balance, life transitions, character and ethics, team building, and virtual teams. Her clients are from Fortune 100 companies, not-for-profit, and government agencies and high tech, biotech, healthcare, finance, legal and other industries.
As a professor, she teaches/has taught business and psychology students of all ages at the Rady School of Management at the University of California San Diego, the Marshall Goldsmith School of Management at Alliant International University, and in the Masters in Human Behavior program at National University. Joanie earned a Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley, and a B.A. in Engineering from Harvard University.
Visit her website, flexibleworksolutions.com.