October 5, 2017
Course runs from 8:00am–12:00pm.
Registration fee includes course materials, campus parking and catered breakfast.
This class is part of the Communication Certificate Program.
About the Program
Practice makes perfect. Business professionals speak in front of people every day, but no matter your experience level, you can always perfect your speaking style and work to clarify your message. Building on the skills developed in the Acting for Executives course, the Advanced Public Speaking course uses skills developed by actors to overcome stage fright, develop a strong stage presence, and develop a commanding voice. Additionally, participants are given the tools to perform a self-assessment and continue their growth after the course.
This course is appropriate for any business professional that must interact publically, give presentations to investors, lead work group meetings, pitch ideas or represent their company in social events. It is highly recommended that participants take Acting for Executives: Public Speaking before enrolling in the Advanced course.
- Build on the tools learned in Acting for Executives: Public Speaking
- Achieve awareness of how body language can create a strong executive presence
- Discover how to use their voice effectively to inspire confidence in their ideas
- Uncover how active listening and reading body language can aid in communication
- Learn how to create compelling content to aid the listener experience
This interactive course will help participants:
- Relaxation and concentration tips for public speaking
- Theatre techniques to build confidence in public situations
- Active listening skills
- Improvisational skills
Dr. Rebecca Johannsen currently teaches Speech and Communication at Mercy College in New York, as well as teaching Theatre at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts. Dr. Johannsen holds a Ph.D. in Theatre from the joint doctoral program at UC Irvine and UC San Diego. She also holds a Master's degree in Theatre from SDSU. Shortly after graduation from SDSU she founded Stone Soup Theatre Company, one of San Diego's most critically acclaimed theatre companies. Dr. Johannsen has focused on connecting acting skills with coaching public speaking for the last five years, working with a variety of clients to improve public speaking skills and emotional intelligence. She also actively works in the Off-Off-Broadway Theatre, producing and directing works at NYC's infamous La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club.