Study Abroad Information for Undergrads

Rady students can greatly benefit from study abroad opportunities. There are many options available to UC San Diego students, from summer study to year-long programs. Students can participate in:

University of California’s Education Abroad Program (EAP)—a UC-run study abroad program, with programs in over 35 countries. You remain enrolled at UC San Diego and earn UC credits and letter grades that are calculated in your UC San Diego GPA. All financial aid and scholarships transfer. UC Study Centers in specific countries provide logistical support.

Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP)—this umbrella program for study abroad uses an independent study abroad provider. OAP also provides internship, work and teaching opportunities. Students are not enrolled at UC San Diego while abroad; you earn UC San Diego transfer credit, but grades are not calculated in your UC San Diego GPA. Not all OAP programs give letter grades so students pursuing minor credit should research if the institution issuing the transcript will report P/ NP or letter grades. Federal and state financial aid transfer, but campus-based aid does not. Some scholarships are available from study–abroad providers. 

Global Seminars (GS)—5-week summer programs led by UC San Diego faculty in different locations around the world. You register for two 4-unit UC San Diego classes taught in English and receive UC credit.

Find more information and a calendar of upcoming events on the Programs Abroad Office website.

Can I fit Study Abroad into my minor requirements?

Yes, absolutely. Note that Rady allows a maximum of two (4–unit) transfer courses to be applied toward a minor (this includes courses transferred from a community college and study abroad classes). Double minors can apply two transfer classes toward each minor.

All business minors must take MGT112: Global Business Strategy at UCSD Rady School of Management; this class cannot be taken abroad.

Step 1: Preliminary Approval
Students may take classes abroad and apply them toward their minor, so long as they are deemed equivalent to Rady classes. Before studying abroad, submit your Academic Planning form to Rady’s advising department along with course descriptions or syllabi from the courses you would like to apply toward your minor. Come in during walk-in advising hours for quick approval or drop off your form with the advising front desk and allow 1 week for review and approval. Plan to take classes for letter grades.

Step 2: Final Approval
Upon return, and once your coursework appears on your Academic History on Tritonlink, submit an Undergraduate Student Petition and course syllabus for each class you want to apply toward your minor for approval. Additional documentation such as papers or exams may be requested.

Can I afford Study Abroad?

UC San Diego students receive approximately $500,000 annually in study–abroad scholarships. The UC San Diego Programs Abroad Office provides extensive information on funding and can assist you in applying for scholarships.

Learn more about Financing Your Experience.

How do I get started?

Follow these steps.