Challenges & Competitions
UC San Diego and the Rady School of Management provide many opportunities throughout the year for budding entrepreneurs to pitch their idea and compete for funding, in addition to providing exposure to local business leaders and investors. Each program has its own focus and application process.
- StartR Demo Day - The StartR accelerator is a highly competitive program that includes several tracks targeting specific areas of interest: Inclusion, Impact, and Rady MBA. This event is an opportunity for some of the top teams from each track to present their pitch to the Rady School of Management and San Diego entrepreneurial communities.
- Triton Innovation Challenge is a collaboration of the Rady School, the Jacobs School of Engineering, and the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Focusing on the environment and open to those with environmentally relevant ideas, the Triton Innovation Challenge is open to students, faculty and staff across the UC San Diego campus.
- Rady Idea Challenge is a new competition open to incoming Rady School graduate level students. Students are encouraged to come up with an idea and compete in a quick-pitch competition where they will be awarded prizes to help them grow their idea. The purpose of the Idea Challenge is to encourage all new students, regardless of program, to think entrepreneurially.
- Border Innovation Challenge, now in its second year, is a business plan competition focused on the challenges presented by the international border. This competition focuses on bringing to the spotlight promising solutions and technologies to meet the efficiency and security challenges of the region's ports of entry among others. Supported by the Smart Border Coalition, the program is presented through a partnership of the Rady School of Management and the Jacobs School of Engineering, and is open to entrepreneurs and those affiliated with univerities from across the greater San Diego/Tijuana border region.
- Fowler Global Social Innovation Challenge - In partnership with the Center for Social Innovation and Impact (CSII), the competition is a social venture pitch competition that recognizes, resources and rewards student-led social ventures focused on sustainable change. Participants develop a nuanced understanding of a social or environmental issue, and identify gaps in the approaches currently deployed to solve this issue, create a viable business plan based on a new potential solution that can address these gaps, pitch their venture to a panel of judges for up to $50,000 in funding and other resources, and gain invaluable entrepreneurial experience, mentoring and network connections to propel their change-making journey to the next level.