Research AreasFinancial Disclosure and Capital Markets
Financial Transparency and Corporate Governance
Industry AreasMergers & Acquisitions
Mark G. Maffett studies the role of disclosure, regulation, and institutional investors—with a focus on the economic effects of financial reporting transparency in international capital markets. His work has been published in top accounting and finance journals including the Journal of Accounting & Economics, the Journal of Accounting Research, the Journal of Financial Economics, Management Science, the Review of Accounting Studies, the Review of Financial Studies and Foundations and Trends in Accounting. Professor Maffett is an Associate Editor at the Journal of Accounting & Economics and the Journal of Accounting Research.
Outside of academia, Professor Maffett's professional experience includes work in investment banking, auditing, and financial consulting. During his time in industry, he worked with firms in sectors ranging from textiles to NASCAR and gained an appreciation for the value of knowledge of financial accounting principles for managers, investors, bankers, and financial analysts. He hopes that students who take his Complex Deals course will leave with a solid understanding of how businesses use financial accounting to express the economic realities of complex organizations as well as the deal structures and transactions that shape the design of these organizations.
Maffett earned his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Additionally, he holds a M.A. in humanities from The University of Chicago, has dual degrees from Wake Forest University in accounting (M.S.A.) and in analytical finance (B.S.), and is also a licensed C.P.A. Prior to this position, he was Associate Professor and Neubauer Family Faculty Fellow at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
- Public Audit Oversight and Reporting Credibility: Evidence from the PCAOB Inspection Regime (with Brandon Gipper and Christian Leuz). Review of Financial Studies, 33 (2020), 4532-4579.
- Regulatory Cooperation and Foreign Portfolio Investment (with Mark Lang, James Omartian, and Roger Silvers). Journal of Financial Economics, 138 (2020), 138-158.
- Proactive Financial Reporting Enforcement and Shareholder Wealth (with Hans Christensen and Lisa Liu). Journal of Accounting and Economics, 69 (2020), 1-23.
- The Only Prescription is Transparency: The Effect of Charge-Price-Transparency Regulation on Healthcare Prices (with Hans Christensen and Eric Floyd). Management Science 66 (2020), 2861-2882.
- Securities Regulation, Household Equity Ownership, and Trust in the Stock Market (with Hans Christensen and Lauren Vollon), Review of Accounting Studies 24, (2019), 824-859.
- The Real Effects of Mandated Information on Social Responsibility in Financial Reports: Evidence from Mine-Safety Records (with Hans Christensen, Eric Floyd, and Lisa Liu), Journal of Accounting and Economics 64 (2017), 284-304.
- Foreign Institutional Ownership and the Global Convergence of Financial Reporting Practices(with Vivian Fang and Bohui Zhang), Journal of Accounting Research 53 (2015), 593-631.
- Post-Listing Performance and Private Sector Regulation: The Experience of the AIM (with Joseph Gerakos and Mark Lang), Journal of Accounting & Economics 56 (2013), 189-215.
- Financial Reporting Opacity and Informed Trading by International Institutional Investors, Journal of Accounting & Economics 54 (2012), 201-220.
- Transparency, Liquidity, and Valuation: International Evidence on when Transparency Matters Most (with Mark Lang and Karl Lins); Journal of Accounting Research 50 (2012), 729-774.
- Transparency and Liquidity Uncertainty in Crisis Periods (with Mark Lang); Journal of Accounting & Economics 52 (2011), 101-125.
- Economic Effects of Transparency in International Equity Markets (with Mark Lang); Foundations and Trends in Accounting 5 (2011), 175-241.
- Policeman for the World: The Impact of Extraterritorial FCPA Enforcement on Foreign Investment and Internal Controls (with Hans Christensen and Thomas Rauter). Latest draft: September 2020.
- Reversing the Resource Curse: Foreign Corruption Regulation and Economic Development (with Hans Christensen and Thomas Rauter). Latest draft: December 2020.
- Importing Activists: Determinants and Consequences of Increased Cross-border Shareholder Activism (with Anya Nakhmurina and Doug Skinner) Latest draft: February 2021.
- Whose Lives Matter Most? Evidence from Firm Responses to Worker Fatalities (with Hans Christensen) Latest draft: February 2021.
- Regulatory Amnesty: Evidence from a Municipal Disclosure Initiative (with Delphine Samuels and Frank Zhou) Latest draft: August 2021.
- Equity Market Trading Restrictions and Credit Risk (with Ed Owens) Latest draft: December 2018.
Work in Progress
- You Reap What You Sow: Agricultural Taxes and the Military Success of the Caliphate (with Hans Christensen and Tati Fontana