The CLA can built as a custom for your company or run as an Open-Enrollment for people from different companies. Each Center for Leadership Assessment or the "Center" can accommodate groups of 6 people. The max number of groups for one "Center" is 2, which is a total of 12 people.
$4,500 per person & includes 1 full-day = the Center at Rady CED & pre-work (online & in-person)
8a - 5p the Center at Rady CED on the UCSD Campus
5 to 7 hours pre-work (online & in-person, done BEFORE the Center at each person's convenience)
*Optional component, 360-degree assessment = $360 per person additional
This class is part of the Leadership Certificate Program.
About the Program
A structured leadership assessment experience offers an opportunity to demonstrate skills and capabilities in a challenging environment and to receive feedback on that performance. The Center for Leadership Assessment (CLA) offers programs that identify and improve upon these competencies.
The Rady School of Management Center for Executive Development (CED) regularly offers custom CLA programs to suit the needs of specific organizations and their leadership teams, and for individuals as well. The Open-Enrollment CLA program allows participants from multiple organizations to interact with and learn from each other. It is ideal for organizations that wish to provide assessment and training to select members of their leadership team.
At a time when organizations have limited resources for identifying and developing their talent pipeline, the CLA program offers the greatest return on investment. By providing specific, actionable evaluations and feedback, developmental activities can be targeted to skills that will make the greatest difference in the success of both the individual and the organization. The result is a process that will build upon itself year after year.
- Planning and scoping projects
- Mitigating risk
- Managing the social dynamics of project execution
- Developing project management tools for success
Who Should Attend
Leaders (individuals and small teams of 6) of mid- to large-size companies, at the director level. Attendees may be interested in strengthening their leadership skills because they are new to their position, want to broaden their responsibilities, want to move to the next level of leadership or have received feedback on areas which need improvement.
- Pre-work: Participants receive several online assessments to complete prior to attending the CLA.The pre-work assignment is provided two to four weeks prior to the CLA start date and takes approximately 5 - 7 hours to complete. (Four weeks if the participant chooses to do a 360-degree feedback, which costs extra.) The course pre-work includes:
- 3 hour business acumen assessments (proctered)
- 45 minute Emotional Intelligence
- 30-45 minute Cognitive Ability
- 30 minute TAIS
- 45 minute interview
- 30-45 minute biodata
- Center for Leadership Assessment Program: Participants attend a one day program from 8a-5p at Rady CED on the UCSD campus including exercises, feedback and networking opportunities.
- Post-feedback: Participants receive feedback (1.5 hrs) on specific instruments/assessments in-person (or virtually), and both the individual and their organization receive a report of quantitative and qualitative feedback on the participants' overall performance on the CLA competencies. Additional feedback and development may be arranged for an additional cost.
- Participants may also participate in an optional 360-Assessment for $360 per person. This Assessment includes a post-program half-hour addition to the program feedback meeting (2 hour feedback meeting vs. 1.5 hours)
For the Organization: The CLA program provides a solid basis for its individual development and succession planning efforts and may be customized according to unique organizational needs. This is achieved through:
- A summary report on each participant detailing their strengths and development needs
- An evaluation of each participant on each of the organization's key competencies
- A CLA Roll-up that shows the strengths and development needs across the organization.
For the Individual: Whether a leader of thousands, a supervisor of a few or an individual contributor, the CLA program provides individuals with a snapshot of skills, abilities and personal characteristics which serves as a foundation for development planning through:
- Comprehensive, integrated feedback
- A report that summarizes results from the center and offers recommendations for ongoing development.
- A comprehensive 360 degree feedback report summarizing how others in the work environment perceive the participant's skills and abilities.
Dr. Joanie B. Connell is an organizational consultant and leadership coach who specializes in maximizing leadership potential. She works with companies to attract, develop, and retain top talent. She works with individuals to improve their success and happiness in their careers. She is also an author of a recently-released book called “Flying Without a Helicopter: How to Prepare Young People for Work and Life.”
As a consultant, Joanie develops leaders across generations. She works with executives at Flexible Work Solutions, Inc. and youth at ExecuStart, Inc. She consults in a variety of areas, including executive leadership development, diversity, generations, flexible work arrangements, work-life balance, life transitions, character and ethics, team building, and virtual teams. Her clients are from Fortune 100 companies, not-for-profit, and government agencies and high tech, biotech, healthcare, finance, legal and other industries.
As a professor, she teaches/has taught business and psychology students of all ages at the Rady School of Management at the University of California San Diego, the Marshall Goldsmith School of Management at Alliant International University, and in the Masters in Human Behavior program at National University. Joanie earned a Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley, and a B.A. in Engineering from Harvard University.
Visit her website, flexibleworksolutions.com.
*The Rady School of Management Center for Executive Development (CED) may change, postpone or cancel a class at any time. We do not provide refunds for any fees related to travel, including but not limited to gas, bus fare, train tickets, airline tickets, etc. Certificate requirements may also change. We will provide as much notice as possible should this occur.