October 9, 2018
8:00am – 12:00pm
Registration fee includes course materials, campus parking and catered breakfast.
About the Program
Emotions are contagious. It starts with the leader at the top: your state, your expectations, your structures, your emotional regulation and how you set the context. Today's teams must do more with less. High performing teams need members with technical competency and intelligence—but that is not enough. Motivation, engagement and productivity happens through effective collaboration based on team dynamics. On a team, the whole is never the sum of its parts, but is greater or lesser depending on how well the individuals work together. The leader has a huge impact on the emotional state of the team and its ability to work together. Who the leader is, and how the leader is presented on a consistent basis, can have dramatic effect on leading the team through change, fostering creativity, innovation, and job satisfaction. Learn key facilitation skills that will engage your team. Never have a boring meeting again.
Participants in this class will learn:
- Learn the 5 key building blocks of high-performing teams and how to facilitate those blocks
- How to engage both relational personalities and task-focused members
- The basic needs of team members and how to design meetings and processes to meet those needs
- Key communication skills to facilitate growth-producing conversations and team dynamics
- The power of informal conversations
- The neuro-chemistry of states and how to lead meetings that tap into resourceful states
- How to quickly assess team effectiveness
- Ideas for leader self-management
This course is appropriate for any business leaders that manage and lead teams or departments.
Dr. Ernie Mendes is a professional development trainer, organizational consultant, executive coach and keynote speaker. He has been providing training & development since 1988 working with Managers, Scientists, Researchers, Law Enforcement, Educators, Engineers, Sales & Marketing Professionals, Corporate Trainers, Corporate Officers, Business Owners, and others. Dr. Mendes' diverse professional background includes a combined 23 years as a secondary and post-secondary educator and 11 years as a licensed psychotherapist in private practice.
Dr. Mendes holds a Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology. He was one of the first to do a doctoral study on Emotional Intelligence (EI). He studied the relationship between E.I. and Occupational Burnout. His book Empty the Cup before You Fill It Up provides practical activities to build effective relationships at work and in a classroom setting using EI theory and neuroscience. His recent book Engage 4 Learning uses four main brain systems to engage K-Adult learners in the classroom and in training settings. For more information visit erniemendes.com. .
- Difficult Conversations
- Conflict Resolution Strategies for Managers
- The Art & Science of Emotional Intelligence
- Managing Successful Virtual Teams
*The Rady School of Management Center for Executive Development (CED) may change, postpone or cancel a class at any time. We do not provide refunds for any fees related to travel, including but not limited to gas, bus fare, train tickets, airline tickets, etc. Certificate requirements may also change. We will provide as much notice as possible should this occur.