Ph.D. Costs and Financing

Financial Aid and Scholarships

The Rady School of Management seeks to provide scholarships to all admitted Ph.D. students over four years of study. Students are offered a combination of scholarships (teaching assistantships, research assistantships and fellowships) based on their topic and year of study. RA and TA appointments are typically 25% service (10 hours per week), require registration as a full-time student and are contingent upon continuing satisfactory academic progress and employment performance. Students are automatically considered for departmental aid when they submit their application for admission and are notified of their award when they are accepted into the program.

In addition, UC San Diego’s Financial Aid Office offers various forms of traditional financial aid, including both need-based grants and educational loans. Specific information on educational loans, including federally subsidized Stafford loans, is available at their website.

All doctoral students who are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents are encouraged to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year to access state and federal grants and loans. FAFSA applications are available January 1. The FAFSA must be filed by March 1 and the student’s financial aid file must be complete by May 1 to be considered for grant funding.

Residency Information for Tuition Purposes

All eligible students are encouraged to apply for California residency for tuition purposes as soon as possible. Admitted students are provided additional information about how to apply for residency and referred to the Register’s Office for further details.

International Applicants

International Students (if you are neither a U.S. citizen nor a permanent resident of the U.S.) are responsible for their non-resident tuition and registration fees for the entire duration of their doctoral studies, whether paid by personal resources or by a support package provided by the Rady School. Once an international applicant has received an offer of admission, he/she must indicate in a financial statement the amount and source of the funds he/she will use for graduate study in the United States. This form is forwarded to international applicants upon their admission. Written evidence of sufficient financial resources must be provided before visa forms will be issued.

Students (including international students) are often fully supported by a combination of teaching/research assistantships, grants and fellowships/scholarships. Acquiring these funds is important and often involves joint efforts among the student, the school and faculty advisers.

Questions regarding the international applicant financial statement should be addressed to the Office of Graduate Studies.


All graduate students must pay fees during each quarter of the academic year for the duration of the program of study.

2016-17 Program Fees (PDF)

All fees are subject to change without notice. Additional information regarding fees for the academic year will be available on the Office of Graduate Studies Web site in February or as soon as approved by the University of California Regents.

If you have any questions, please contact the Rady Ph.D. Graduate Coordinator at