Students with a documented disability may be eligible for accommodations. The Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) is responsible for determining reasonable accommodation based on the individual’s current functional limitations. Only students who have been issued an Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) Letter by the OSD are eligible for accommodation. The Rady School of Management Undergraduate OSD Liaison will work directly with the student to facilitate all exam accommodations for undergraduate courses offered by the department.
Steps for Exam Accommodations
Step 1: Request Academic Accommodations from OSD
- When students request accommodations to standard policy and/or procedure in UC San Diego academic departments due to a disability, eligibility is determined by the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD), in conjunction with the technical standards and learning outcomes of the academic major, department and college.
- Please refer to the OSD website for further information on requesting academic accommodations: disabilities.ucsd.edu/students/
- Students are responsible for registering promptly with the OSD. In order to ensure that accommodations are met, students MUST follow the procedures of both the OSD and The Rady School of Management.
- Students should consult with an OSD Disability Specialist quarterly, as soon as course registration occurs, to obtain an Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) letter for each course in which accommodations are needed.
Step 2: Present Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) Letter to Instructor and Department Liaison at the Beginning of the Quarter
- It is essential that students present their current quarter AFA letter to both the course instructor and the Rady School of Management Department OSD Liaison at the beginning of the quarter, or as soon as the letter is issued.
- Students should have the instructor sign their AFA letter before bringing it to the Rady School of Management Liaison, in Otterson Hall, Office 2E113.
- The Department Liaison must have a copy of the AFA letter-signed by the instructor-on file before the student will receive any exam accommodations.
- Students are authorized to receive accommodations only as listed on the current AFA letter on file. AFA letters are only valid for a specific term and must be renewed each quarter.
- The AFA should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later than Friday of week 2 of the quarter.
- If an AFA is issued by the OSD after Friday of week 2, the student must present the AFA to the Undergraduate Rady School of Management OSD Liaison within two business days of the date of issuance listed on the AFA.
- No accommodations will be retroactively applied.
Step 3: Send Email to Schedule Exams with Department Liaison and Inform Instructor (with advance notice)
- From your UCSD.EDU email address, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 1 week in advance of the scheduled exam.
- Rady School of Management cannot guarantee to provide an appropriate accommodation if you email the department within a week of the exam date.
- CC/ Copy: Instructor and TA(s) for the class
- Subject of Email: Term Class Accommodation Exam # (Your Last Name).
- Example: WI16 MGT 128 Accommodation Midterm Exam (Martinez)
- Body of email: Include your name, PID, MGT course number, course title, day and time of the regularly scheduled exam.
- Note: Email should only contain a request for an individual exam (not all your exams for a particular class nor all exams for all your classes), exception: weekly quizzes may be listed in one email.
- You will get an email response from the Department Liaison assigning an exam time.
- All exams must be administered during regular office hours, M-F 8:00a-4:00p, unless otherwise arranged with the instructor or TA serving as proctor after hours.
- All exams will be administered during the day of the in-class exam.
- Exceptions to this include the following:
- Your extended time testing conflicts with another class you are taking.
- Your OSD accommodations include the ability to reschedule.
- You have an additional exception that does not relate to OSD, for example, a sudden unforeseen documented illness that allows for the reschedule (you must follow the reschedule procedures indicated on your course syllabus in order to be accommodated).
- Exceptions to this include the following:
Step 4: Exam Administration
- Most exams, unless otherwise arranged with the instructor or TA, will be administered by the Department OSD Liaison.
- Students should check in with the Rady Department Liaison (Otterson Hall 2E113) a few minutes prior to the start time of their scheduled exam.
- Students are responsible for abiding by the UCSD rules of academic integrity.
- There may be more than one student utilizing the exam room at the same time, as authorized by the Department Liaison.
- There may be exam-related interruptions by instructors, TAs, or the Department Liaison during the exam.
- The Rady School of Management is a busy area and the Department Liaison cannot necessarily guarantee a silent testing area. Students may bring standard earplugs (non-electronic) to any exam.
OSD Questions? Current UCSD students and non-UCSD students should email: email@example.com