Study Abroad Programs

Study Abroad Information for Undergrads

Rady students can greatly benefit from study abroad opportunities. There are many options available to UC San Diego students, from summer study to year-long programs.

  • University of California’s Education Abroad Program (EAP)—a UC-run study abroad program, with programs in over 40 countries. You remain enrolled at UC San Diego and earn UC credits and letter grades that are calculated in your UC San Diego GPA. All financial aid and scholarships transfer. UC Study Centers in specific countries provide logistical support.
  • Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP)—this umbrella program for study abroad uses an independent study abroad provider. OAP also provides internship, work and teaching opportunities. Students are not enrolled at UC San Diego while abroad; you earn UC San Diego transfer credit, but grades are not calculated in your UC San Diego GPA. Not all OAP programs give letter grades so students pursuing minor credit should research if the institution issuing the transcript will report P/ NP or letter grades. Federal and state financial aid transfer, but campus-based aid does not. Some scholarships are available from study–abroad providers.
  • Global Seminars (GS)—5-week summer programs led by UC San Diego faculty in different locations around the world. You register for two 4-unit UC San Diego classes taught in English and receive UC credit.

Find more information and a calendar of upcoming events on the Study Abroad UC San Diego website.

Can I fit Study Abroad into my minor requirements?

Yes, absolutely. Note that Rady allows a maximum of two (4–unit) transfer courses to be applied toward a minor (this includes courses transferred from a community college and study abroad classes). Double minors can apply two transfer classes toward each minor.

Important Information

Business minors must take MGT112: Global Business Strategy at UCSD Rady School of Management; this class cannot be taken abroad.

Entrepreneurship & innovation minors must take MGT121A: Innovation to Market A and MGT121B: Innovation to Market B at UCSD Rady School of Management; these classes cannot be taken abroad.

It is easiest to petition elective classes. Core classes need to be nearly identical to what we offer at Rady, but elective class topics are more flexible. If you are petitioning to take an upper division core class abroad, then the content needs to match as well as the upper division standing. All classes must be a minimum of 4 quarter units.

Extension classes do not transfer to UC San Diego. They appear as zero units on students' academic histories.

How to Transfer Credits

Step 1: Preliminary Approval Before Your Trip

Students may take classes abroad and apply them toward their minor, so long as they are deemed equivalent to Rady classes. Before studying abroad, submit your Academic Planning form to Rady’s advising department along with course descriptions or syllabi from the courses you would like to apply toward your minor. Come in during walk-in advising hours for quick approval or drop off your form with the advising front desk and allow 1 week for review and approval. Plan to take classes for letter grades. You can find many EAP course descriptions on the EAP Course Catalog website.

Step 2: Final Approval

Upon return, and once your coursework appears on your Academic History on Tritonlink, submit an Undergraduate Student Petition and course syllabus for each class you want to apply toward your minor for approval. Additional documentation such as papers or exams may be requested.

Can I afford Study Abroad?

UC San Diego students receive approximately $650,000 annually in study–abroad scholarships. The Study Abroad UC San Diego office provides extensive information on funding and can assist you in applying for scholarships.

Learn more about Financing Your Experience.

How do I get started?

Visit the UC San Diego Study Abroad website and follow the First Steps guide.

Follow these steps.