International Hiring

Rady School international students demonstrate invaluable insight, managerial experience and cultural perspective

With their cross-cultural business acumen, language skills and global experience, international students at Rady can contribute to your organization in many ways. International students are permitted to work as summer interns, as well as full-time employees, after obtaining the required employment authorizations.


There are no restrictions for international students (except H-4 visas) to work as summer interns and/or second year interns in the United States. The student is responsible for completing the necessary paperwork in order to work in the United States.

Students will work under Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Applying for CPT is an easy process for the student, and the employer is only required to provide an offer letter. Students work directly with Rady Graduate Career Management Center and the International Center at UC San Diego to process the necessary paperwork.

Post-Graduate Employment

Upon graduation, international students have two options to gain permission to work in the United States. The student either applies for 12 month Optional Practical Training (OPT) or they apply for an H1-B visa through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). OPT is for those students holding an F-1 visa and they do not need a job offer letter for authorization as the student will submit for authorization three months prior to graduation.

The H1-B authorizes the student to work in the United States for three years and is renewable for a total of up to six years. In this case, the employer will need to assist the student with the application process.

UC San Diego’s International Center can provide additional information on the visa process.