This program will be launching Winter 2022.
The Rady School’s Finance Minor will provide students with an educational experience that emphasizes the sound fundamental financial concepts necessary for success in the industry and for preparing them to begin a challenging and meaningful career upon graduation. The Finance Minor develops current knowledge that firms are seeking in areas like sustainable investing, financial modeling and forecasting, private equity and new venture finance, along with sound fundamentals of corporate finance, investment banking, and financial accounting. A minor in finance can be applied to a broad range of careers, as every industry has a finance function. Courses build skills related to both personal and business financial management.
The Finance minor can be declared in combination with any of our Rady minors and Business-Related Majors.
You may declare a minor through Tritonlink. For a step-by-step video tutorial on how to declare please visit our main Rady Advising page.
The minor consists of 28 units that provide breadth of content spanning all areas of finance. The requirements include one required core course (4 units) and 6 elective courses (24 units).
In order to complete the Finance Minor, students must comply to the following:
- Take all Finance minor classes for a letter grade.
- Earn at least a C- in each course used for the minor.
- At least 20 units must be upper-division units (courses numbered 100+) or only eight lower-division units (two courses) may be taken for the Finance minor.
- At least five classes for the minor must be taken at UCSD.
- Finish the minor with an overall minor GPA of 2.0
Find the list of tentative Rady classes for the academic year on the undergraduate webpage.
To plan your Finance Minor courses, please visit our Resources page to access the Rady Program Requirements Sheet.
Finance Minor Courses
Required Courses- Choose 1 (4 Units):
• MGT 180. Business Finance (4) (New)
• MGT 181. Enterprise Finance (4)
Elective Courses- Choose 6 (24 units):
• MGT 12. Personal Financial Management (4)*
• MGT 45. Principles of Accounting (4)*
• MGT 180. Business Finance (4) (New) (if not chosen above)
• MGT 181. Enterprise Finance (4) (if not chosen above)
• MGT 183. Financial Investments (4)
• MGT 184. Money and Banking (4)
• MGT 185. Investment Banking (4)
• MGT 186. Empirical Finance (4) (New)
• MGT 187. New Venture Finance (4)
• MGT 157. Real Estate Securitization (4)
• MGT 158. Real Estate and the Tech Sector (4)
• MGT 148. Mergers and Acquisitions (4)
• MGT 137. Financial Statement Analysis (4)
*no more than 8 units can be lower division
Have a question? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or please feel free to contact us or visit us during our drop-in advising hours!
Current UCSD students: Please submit your questions via the VAC and an advisor will respond in 1-3 business days.
Non-UCSD students: Email us at email@example.com.