The Business Minor at the Rady School of Management provides students with a broad understanding of business theory, practices, and applications. Each course covers the application of business principles to a broad variety of fields within the wide range of academic interests and majors among the UC San Diego undergraduate population. Rady School business courses are application-oriented, exploring theoretical approaches, and emphasizing the implementation of those theories across a wide range of real-world contexts.
Students majoring in International Studies - International Business, Business Psychology and/or Business Economics cannot declare a minor in business. Students who have declared the business minor, cannot declare the Entrepreneurship and Innovation minor due to overlap of core requirements.
You may declare a minor through Tritonlink. For a step-by-step video tutorial on how to declare please visit our main Rady Advising page.
Required coursework focuses on business operation fundamentals, project management, business ethics, and entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship. Many Business Minor courses are team-focused, encouraging the development of skills in team interaction, consensus building, conflict resolution, group presentations,
Students must complete a total of 28 units (20 must be upper-division units) to satisfy the requirements of the business minor. In order to complete the Business Minor, students must comply to the following:
- Take all business minor classes for a letter grade (the math prerequisite may be taken for P/NP for minor purposes).
- Earn at least a C- in each course used for the minor.
- At least 20 units must be upper-division units (courses numbered 100+) or only eight lower-division units (two courses) may be taken for the business minor.
- At least five classes for the minor must be taken at UCSD.
- Finish the minor with an overall minor GPA of 2.0
Find the list of tentative Rady classes for the academic year on the undergraduate webpage.
To plan your Business Minor courses, please visit our Resources page to access the Rady Program Requirements Sheet.
Business Minor Courses
Ethics (4 units)Choose between
- MGT 16: Personal Ethics at Work or
- MGT 166: Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
Accounting (4units)Choose between:
- MGT 45: Principles of Accounting (4 units) or
- MGT/ECON 4 Financial Accounting and MGT 5 Managerial Accounting (8 units, both classes must be completed to fulfill the accounting requirement)
Core (12 units)All courses are required.
- MGT 103: Product Marketing and Management
- MGT 181: Enterprise Finance
Prerequisites: Calculus (MGT 3 or MATH 10A or MATH 20A)
and Accounting (MGT 45 or MGT/ECON4 and MGT 5)
- MGT 112: Global Business Strategy
Prerequisites: MGT 181 and MGT 103
- MGT 181: Enterprise Finance
Elective Courses (8 units)
Because business principles are applicable to a broad range of fields, we accept business-related electives completed either at the Rady School or from other departments. Please consult with the appropriate department for enrollment and prerequisite inquiries. Only two lower-division courses (or eight units) are allowed for the minor. If you have taken both MGT 16 and MGT 45 for the core business minor courses, all elective courses must be upper-division.
- MGT 12: Personal Financial Management
- MGT 16: Personal Ethics at Work
- MGT 18: Managing Diverse Teams
- MGT 102: E-Commerce*
- MGT 105: Product Promotion and Brand Management
- MGT 106: Sales and Sales Management
- MGT 107: Consumer Behavior*
- MGT108/R: Applied Market Research*
- MGT 109: Topics in Marketing*
- MGT 117: Business Law*
- MGT 119: Topics in Business*
- MGT 121A: Innovation to Market A
- MGT 121B: Innovation to Market B
- MGT 129: Topics in Entrepreneurship*
- MGT 153: Business Analytics*
- MGT 162/R: Negotiation*
- MGT 164: Business and Organizational Leadership
- MGT 166 Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
- MGT 171: Operations Management*
- MGT 172: Business Project Management
- MGT 175: Supply Chain Management*
- MGT 176: Strategic Cost Management*
- MGT 177: Analytics and Spreadsheet Modeling in Supply Chain Management*
- MGT 183: Financial Investments
- MGT 184: Money and Banking
- MGT 185: Investment Banking
- MGT 189: Topics in Finance
- MGT 198: Directed Group Study* (Subject to department approval)
- MGT 199: Independent Research Project* (Subject to department approval)
- AIP 197: Internship* (Subject to department approval)
Approved courses from other departments:
- COMM 110G: Communication in Organizations
- COMM 109D: Advertising and Society
- COMM 162: Advanced Studies in Cultural Industries
- COMM 106F: The Film Industry
- COMM 106I: Internet Industry
- ENG 100B: Engineering Leadership*
- ENG 100D: Design for Development (open to all majors)*
- ENG 100L: Design for Development Laboratory (open to all majors)*
- ENG 201: Venture Mechanics
- ENG 202: Enterprise Dynamics
- ENG 203: Applied Innovation
- MATH 193A: Actuarial Mathematics
- MATH 193B: Actuarial Mathematics*
- MATH 194: Mathematics of Finance
- PSYC 178: Organizational Psychology
- SOCI 121: Economy and Society
- SOCI 132: Gender and Work
- SOCI 140F: Law and the Workplace
- SOCI 148E: Inequality and Jobs
*Students must contact Rady Advising to have class manually applied as a business minor elective to their degree audit.
Have a question? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or please feel free to contact us or visit us during our drop-in advising hours!
Current UCSD students: Please submit your questions via the VAC and an advisor will respond in 1-3 business days.
Non-UCSD students: Email us at email@example.com.