The Business Minor at the Rady School of Management provides students with a broad understanding of business theory, practices, and applications. Each course covers the application of business principles to a broad variety of fields within the wide range of academic interests and majors among the UC San Diego undergraduate population. Rady School business courses are application-oriented, exploring theoretical approaches, and emphasizing the implementation of those theories across a wide range of real-world contexts.
Students majoring in International Studies - International Business, Business Psychology and/or Business Economics cannot declare a minor in business. Students who have declared the business minor, cannot declare the Entrepreneurship and Innovation minor due to overlap of core requirements.
You may declare a minor through Tritonlink by using the Major/Minor Tool. For more information on how to declare, please visit our main Rady Advising page.
Required coursework focuses on business operation fundamentals, project management, business ethics, and entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship. Many Business minor courses are team-focused, encouraging the development of skills in team interaction, consensus building, conflict resolution, group presentations,
Students must complete a total of 28 units (20 must be upper-division units) to satisfy the requirements of the business minor. In order to complete the Business Minor, students must comply to the following:
- Take all business minor classes for a letter grade (the math prerequisite may be taken for P/NP for minor purposes).
- Earn at least a C- in each course used for the minor.
- At least 20 units must be upper-division units (courses numbered 100+) or only eight lower-division units (two courses) may be taken for the business minor.
- At least five classes for the minor must be taken at UCSD.
- Finish the minor with an overall minor GPA of 2.0
Find the list of tentative Rady classes for the academic year on the undergraduate webpage.
To plan your Business Minor courses, please visit our Resources page to access the Rady Program Requirements Sheet. Please send Rady a message through the Virtual Advising Center if you have any questions or concerns.
Business Minor Courses
The requirements listed below are for students who declared the minor in Winter 2022 or later. To view the requirements for students who declared the minor prior to Winter 2022, please visit our Resources page.
Ethics (4 units)Choose between
- MGT 16: Personal Ethics at Work or
- MGT 166: Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
Accounting (4 units)Choose between:
- MGT 45: Principles of Accounting (4 units) or
- MGT/ECON 4 Financial Accounting and MGT 5 Managerial Accounting (8 units, both classes must be completed to fulfill the accounting requirement)
Operations Management (4 units)
- MGT 71: Business Process and Operations Management or
- MGT 171: Operations Management
Marketing (4 units)
- MGT 100: Customer Analytics (Prerequisite: ECON 120B) or
- MGT 103: Product Marketing and Management
Other (8 units)
- MGT 181: Enterprise Finance
Prerequisites: Calculus (MGT 3 or MATH 10A or MATH 20A)
and Accounting (MGT 45 or MGT/ECON4 and MGT 5)
- MGT 112: Global Business Strategy
Prerequisites: MGT 181 and MGT 103 or MGT 100
- MGT 181: Enterprise Finance
Elective Course (4 units)
Because business principles are applicable to a broad range of fields, we accept business-related electives completed either at the Rady School or from other departments. Please consult with the appropriate department for enrollment and prerequisite inquiries. Only two lower-division courses (or eight units) total are allowed for the minor.
- MGT 12 - MGT 189*
- MGT 198: Directed Group Study* (Subject to department approval)
- MGT 199: Independent Research Project* (Subject to department approval)
- AIP 197: Internship* (Subject to department approval)
Approved courses from other departments:
- COMM 110G: Communication in Organizations
- COMM 109D: Advertising and Society
- COMM 162: Advanced Studies in Cultural Industries
- COMM 106F: The Film Industry
- COMM 106I: Internet Industry
- ENG 100B: Engineering Leadership*
- ENG 100D: Design for Development (open to all majors)*
- ENG 100L: Design for Development Laboratory (open to all majors)*
- ENG 201: Venture Mechanics
- ENG 202: Enterprise Dynamics
- ENG 203: Applied Innovation
- MATH 193A: Actuarial Mathematics
- MATH 193B: Actuarial Mathematics*
- MATH 194: Mathematics of Finance
- PSYC 178: Organizational Psychology
- SOCI 121: Economy and Society
- SOCI 132: Gender and Work
- SOCI 140F: Law and the Workplace
- SOCI 148E: Inequality and Jobs
*Students may need to contact Rady Advising to have class manually applied as a business minor elective to their degree audit.
Have a question? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or please feel free to contact us or visit us during our drop-in advising hours!
Current UCSD students: Please submit your questions via the VAC and an advisor will respond in 1-3 business days.
Non-UCSD students: Email us at email@example.com.