8:00am - 12:00pm
Registration fee includes course materials, campus parking, and catered breakfast.
This class is part of the Leadership Certificate Program.
Once registered, you will receive an email soon with a link to the Gallup CliftonStrengths assessment instrument which must be completed before class (check your junk mail). Please bring a hard or soft copy of your CliftonStrengths 34 Report with you to class. The assessment takes about 30 minutes to complete.
About the Program
Decades of research have proven that when employees are given the opportunity to do what they do best every day, the effect on individual, team, and organizational performance is powerful. The problem is that most people aren’t able to accurately identify their own strengths and therefore can’t intentionally use them. Imagine a team where people have higher levels of energy and vitality, are more likely to achieve their goals, are more confident, perform better at work, experience less stress, are more engaged at work, and are more effective at developing themselves and growing as individuals. Over 20 million people have taken the Gallup Clifton Strengths (a.k.a., StrengthsFinder) assessment and Gallup has the numbers to back up its claims that it improves workplace performance.
Participants in this course take the Gallup Clifton Strengths instrument and collaboratively learn:
- What their unique talents are and how they have been using them to achieve their successes so far.
- How to recognize, develop, and use their talents to accomplish their goals.
- How to engage in strengths-based management to help employees discover, develop, and use their unique talents for greater team engagement and productivity.
- How to help employees aim their talents so that team members are better equipped to accomplish their goals and performance objectives and respond to everyday situations.
- Managers learn how to more intentionally use their talents and strengths to help them achieve their performance objectives.
- They gain a process they can use time and time again to set them up for success.
- They learn how to engage in Strengths-based management to uplift their team members to grow and develop, identify the ways they most naturally think, feel, and behave, and consistently collaborate and perform at their best.
This course is for managers of teams who are looking for a positive way to motivate and direct their teams to reach high levels of performance and accomplish business objectives.
Dr. Joanie B. Connell is a Gallup certified Strengths Coach. She works as an organizational consultant and leadership coach who specializes in maximizing leadership potential. She works with companies to attract, develop, and retain top talent. She works with individuals to improve their success and happiness in their careers. Joanie has a wealth of consulting experience. She has consulted with Fortune 500 companies, as well as small and medium sized businesses, and also non-profits and the public sector. She has research and teaching experience too. A former engineer, Joanie has a passion for helping technical leaders develop people strategies to better manage their teams and build stronger relationships across functions and organizations. She hosts a podcast on the subject called Reinventing Nerds.
Joanie also loves working with younger people and is the author of the book “Flying without a Helicopter: How to Prepare Young People for Work and Life.” She teaches business and psychology students at the Rady School of Management at the University of California San Diego, and has also taught at the California School of Professional Psychology at Alliant International University, and in the Masters in Human Behavior program at National University.
Joanie earned a Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley, and a B.A. in Engineering from Harvard University.
*The Rady School of Management Center for Executive Development (CED) may change, postpone or cancel a class at any time. We do not provide refunds for any fees related to travel, including but not limited to gas, bus fare, train tickets, airline tickets, etc. Certificate requirements may also change. We will provide as much notice as possible should this occur.